Here's a tasty, quick and dairy-free recipe to use up those mashed sweet potatoes from Thursday's festivities. If you don't have sweet potatoes on hand, winter squash works as well:
Coconut curry sweet potato soup
- 1 Tbl. olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped or 1 c. leeks (cleaned and chopped)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes or finely chopped cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbl. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- black pepper
- course sea salt
- 2 c. roasted and/or mashed sweet potatoes (sorry, the one's topped with marshmallows don't work!)
- 1 15-oz. can of coconut milk (I used light/reduced-fat)
- Heat the oil in a soup pan over medium heat. Add the onion and/or leeks, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add pepper flakes, minced garlic and ginger. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Add 1/4 c. of water, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and coconut milk. Add water to the empty coconut milk can to remove any milk and add to the soup pot.
- Bring the pot to a rolling boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes, with the lid slightly ajar.
- Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Blend the soup with an immersion blender or carefully transfer the soup into a standing blender until creamy and well blended. Heat more, if desired, and add salt and pepper if needed. Eat!
Optional: Top with toasted/roasted pumpkin or squash seeds.