- Shout out to the Connecticut chefs and restaurants nominated for prestigious food awards:
- 2011 James Beard Foundation Award nominees: Best New Restaurant - Community Table, Washington, CT; Best Chef: Northeast - Bill Taibe, LeFarm, Westport, CT
- Food & Wine's "The People's Best New Chef" nominees: New England - Joel Viehland, Community Table, Washington, CT; Kara Brooks, Still River Cafe, Eastford, CT
- Vote for your favorite chef here!
- On a related note, farmer and food justice icon Vandana Shiva writes about the problems of buying into the promise of industrial ag, rather than looking into the real food security solution of biodiverse farming (AlterNet.org/ClimateStoryTellers.org)
The aspect one cannot argue is nutrition: Incredibly, the McDonald’s product contains more sugar than a Snickers bar and only 10 fewer calories than a McDonald’s cheeseburger or Egg McMuffin. (Even without the brown sugar it has more calories than a McDonald’s hamburger.) (Bittman, New York Times)